PITTSBURGH, PA – University of Southern Mississippi president Martha Saunders has apologized to Kansas State point guard Angel Rodriguez, following racist taunts at the hispanic player from members of school’s band.
Members of the Southern Mississippi band chanted “where’s your green card?” at the Wildcats’ freshman, during the NCAA basketball tournament on Thursday.
Saunders moved quickly to apologized for the incident and stated that the comments from those members “do not represent the university.”
“We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today’s game,” Saunders wrote in a statement after the game.
“The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university.
“We apologize to Mr. Rodriquez and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident.”
Kansas State went on to win the game 70-64 and moved on in the tournament.
Southern Miss are on their way back home.
Get the latest happenings: Follow us on Facebook
@sportingalert on Twitter Follow us for the latest news and starting line-ups on Twitter
- Golden State v Pelicans Game 1: Box Score, Video Highlights - 2015/04/18
- Rose Ready To Go, Hinrich OUT: Bulls v Bucks Live Playoffs - 2015/04/18
- Chelsea Start Favourites To Beat Manchester United? - 2015/04/17
- Transfer: Clyne To Man United Done Deal? - 2015/04/16
- Pacers-Wizards on TNT; Clippers-Suns on TNT Overtime - 2015/04/14