Lampard missed 11 because of a calf injury, but has trained well this week and could get a run out today.
Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez, in the meantime, named an unchanged side from the 6-1 win against Nordsjaelland in midweek.
Oriol Romeu retains his place, with John Mikel Obi suspended, while Victor Moses starts for the third consecutive game.
Juan Mata, Fernando Torres and Eden Hazard all start.
Sunderland will be without leading goalscorer Steven Fletcher for the clash. Fletcher is ruled out of the clash due to an injury, so Connor Wickham takes his place up front.
Meanwhile, defender John O’Shea returns to the starting line-up and replaces Matt Kilgallon, who today, was dropped to the substitutes bench.
Adam Johnson, Stéphane Sessegnon, Sebastian Larsson and Carlos Cuéllar are all in Martin O’Neill’s Sunderland starting line-up as well.
TEAM NEWS: SUNDERLAND vs. CHELSEA
- Sunderland: Mignolet, Bardsley, Cuellar, O’Shea, Rose, Johnson, Gardner, Larsson, McClean, Sessegnon, Wickham. Subs: Westwood, Campbell, Kilgallon, Colback, Vaughan, Bramble, Saha.
- Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Cahill, Cole, Ramires, Romeu, Mata, Moses, Hazard, Torres. Subs: Turnbull, Lampard, Oscar, Ferreira, Marin, Azpilicueta, Bertrand.
Get the latest happenings: Follow us on Facebook
@sportingalert on Twitter Follow us for the latest news and starting line-ups on Twitter
Incoming search terms:
- chelsea vs sunderland (67)
- chelsea fc vs sunderland (16)
- sunderland vs chelsea fc tonight (2)