KINGSTON, Jamaica – A Jamaican sprinter was involved in a motor vehicle accident on Christmas Day, but escaped without any serious injuries, according to local media.
According to TrackAlerts.com, quartermiler Shereefa Lloyd, who was a member of the Jamaica Olympic bronze medal team at the London Olympic Games in the summer, lost control of her Mercedes Benz on Highway 2000 on her way to May Pen and crashed into two poles.
This is the same highway triple Olympic gold medalist and sprint world record holder Usain Bolt damaged his car in 2009. Like Lloyd, Bolt walked away from the accident with only minor scratches.
Lloyd, a former Texas Tech University standout, was also a member of the Jamaican squad which won a bronze at the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008.
Lloyd is also a two-time World Championships 4x400m relay silver medalist.
The 30-year-old was a gold medalist on the Jamaican 4x100m relay at the 2000 CAC Junior Championships – a team that also included Veronica Campbell-Brown.
Get the latest happenings: Follow us on Facebook
@sportingalert on Twitter Follow us for the latest news and starting line-ups on Twitter
- 2015 Carifta Games Final Medal Standings - 2015/04/08
- Jamaicans Bloomfield, Taylor Qualify For CARIFTA 400m Final - 2015/04/03
- Watch ComeSeeTv 2015 CARIFTA Games Live Stream - 2015/04/03
- Calabar, Edwin Allen Repeated: Final Champs Points Standings - 2015/03/29
- Surprised Akeem Bloomfield WOW Bolt with 44.93 Performance - 2015/03/28