LIVERPOOL (Sporting Alert) — Leon Osman and Nikica Jelavic scored the goals and stand in goalkeeper Jan Mucha made some outstanding saves to lift 10-man Everton to a 2-0 win over Manchester City in a Barclays Premier League game at Goodison Park.
Osman struck a stunning goal in the 32nd minute to give Everton the lead, while substitute Jelavic scored minutes after coming on to sealed the game with a shot that deflected over Joe Hart’s head in stoppage time.
Everton also had a goal disallowed after Kevin Mirallas was called for offside when he clearly was played on.
Mucha, standing in for the injured Tim Howard, was very impressive today, coming out to make several big time saves, one off James Milnar and another from a shot by Aleksandar Kolarov.
Everton were reduced to 10-man when midfielder Steven Pienaar was sent off for two bookable offenses. He left the pitch with a half-hour to play in the game.
Manchester City remain 12 points behind Manchester United, who could go 15pts clear with a win at home to Reading today, while Everton are up to sixth with 48pts.
Everton v Manchester City
- Everton: Mucha, Coleman, Heitinga, Distin, Baines, Mirallas, Gibson, Osman, Pienaar, Fellaini, Anichebe
- Subs: Springthorpe, Jelavic, Oviedo, Naismith, Neville, Barkley, Duffy
- Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Toure, Nastasic, Kolarov, Javi Garcia, Barry, Milner, Tevez, Silva, Dzeko
- Subs: Pantilimon, Lescott, Nasri, Sinclair, Clichy, Razak, Lopes
- Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)