LONDON (Sporting Alert) — Priscah Jeptoo won the women’s race at the 2013 Virgin London Marathon, this after Olympic champion Tiki Gelana unfortunately fell on Sunday.
The following are the results below.
The Kenyan, who took silver at the London Olympic Games last September, won the race in two hours, 20 minutes and 13 seconds, after running smart and staying with the early leaders throughout the race.
Edna Kiplagat, also of Kenya was second in 2:21:32, with Japan’s Yukiko Akaba taking third in a time of 2:24:43.
Race favorite Gelana fell just before the 10-mile mark when she collided with Canadian wheelchair racer Josh Cassidy and was knocked out of the contest.
The men’s race saw Ethiopian 2010 winner Tsegaye Kebede taking the 2013 edition with a time of 2:06:03, after overtaking a tired looking 2011 champion Emmanuel Mutai of Kenya with a late attack at the final kilometre.
Mutai finished second in 2:06:33, while Ayele Abshero of Ethiopia taking third with 2:06:57.
Defending champion Wilson Kipsang of Kenya finished fifth in 2:07:47 with Olympic champion Stephen Kiprotich of Uganda, sixth in 2:08:05.
Great Britain’s Mo Farah, a double Olympic champion on the track, as planned, withdrew just under the halfway mark in Sunday’s race.
Farah ran steady with the leading pack – covering his 5K in 14:24, his 10K in 28:56 and his 20K in 58:30.
“Next year I’ll come and do the full marathon,” he told BBC Sport.
“I’ve learned the biggest lesson of my life.
“If I had come here next year and made a mess of the race I don’t think I could have dealt with that.”
2013 Virgin London Marathon Results
London Marathon Men Results – Top 10
1. Tsegaye Kebede (Ethiopia) 2:06:04
2. Emmanuel Kipchirchir Mutai (Kenya) 2:06:33
3. Ayele Abshero (Ethiopia) 2:06:57
4. Feyisa Lilesa (Ethiopia) 2:07:46
5. Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich (Kenya) 2:07:47
6. Stephen Kiprotich (Uganda) 2:08:05
7. Yared Asmerom (Eritrea) 2:08:22
8. Stanley Biwott (Kenya) 2:08:39
9. Hafid Chani (Morocco) 2:09:11
10. Ayad Lamdassem (Spain) 2:09:28
London Marathon Women Results
1. Priscah Jeptoo (Kenya) 2:20:15
2. Edna Ngeringwony Kiplagat (Kenya) 2:21:32
3. Yukiko Akaba (Japan) 2:24:43
4. Atsede Baysa (Ethiopia) 2:25:14
5. Meselech Melkamu (Ethiopia) 2:25:46
6. Florence Kiplagat (Kenya) 2:27:05
7. Mai Ito (Japan) 2:28:37
8. Alevtina Biktimirova (Russia) 2:30:02
9. Susan Partridge (Britain) 2:30:46
10. Irvette van Zyl (South Africa) 2:31:26