LONDON (Sporting Alert) — The Telegraph Sport is reporting that Andy Flower has been sacked as England coach.
There have been lots of uncertainty over the future of Flower, following the disastrous 5-0 Ashes white wash in Australia, and according to the Telegraph, the former Zimbabwe opening batsman has been told by England cricket’s managing director Paul Downton, his time as coach is over.
Earlier this month Flower was asked about his future as England coach and he revealed that he was still motivated to remain in charge of the group, despite several problems that included having a spat with batsman Kevin Pietersen.
“I still have confidence in my ability to lead this group in the right direction,” Flower said during the Ashes. “It would be a really exciting challenge for me and I love exciting challenges.
“I’m going to sit down with Paul Downton in Sydney, and probably afterwards, and talk about the future.”
It is now understood that a review of England’s humiliating tour of Australia was indeed followed by a meeting at Lord’s with Flower on Thursday where he was apparently sacked.
Reports said on Friday that Flower has decided to step down, but it came after he was supposedly given no choice by the ECB.
The Zimbabwean has been in charge of England since 2009 and enjoyed a lot of success, including leading England to No. 1 in the world in 2011.
According to Sky Sports News, Flower will not be removed entirely from the England setup, as he is set for a different role with the ECB.
Ashley Giles is the early bookies favourite to succeed Flower in all version of the game.