LONDON – English Premier League club Everton have sacked Roberto Martinez as manager, following a poor run this season, the club confirmed on Thursday.
Sky Sports News first broke the news about the Spanish coach being sacked by Everton with immediate effect, meaning that he will not be in charge of the club for the final match of the season, which is at home against Norwich City.
The club then released a statement on its official website at www.evertonfc.com.
“Everton Football Club regrets to announce that Roberto Martinez has left his position as First Team Manager with immediate effect,” the statement read.
The release continued: “The Chairman and the Board of Directors would like to place on record their thanks for the dedication and commitment Roberto has shown during his three seasons with the Club.
“Roberto has been a great ambassador for the Club, conducting himself, at all times, with the utmost integrity and dignity.
“He secured the Club its highest ever Premier League points total, a place in the last 16 of the Europa League and appearances in both domestic cup semi-finals.
“He has also played a key role in the development of several young players, managing their progression to the Everton First Team and International honours.”
The Toffees had been struggling to find their best form in the last two months.
In fact, they have picked up just four points in the English Premier League since March 5 and only one win in 10 matches in all competitions.
Everton have also won a disappointing five games at Goodison Park in the 2015-16 season, five away from home and have conceded 30 goals at home and 55 in the Premier League.
The club is also ending the campaign as one of the worst teams in the league this season on form, with only the already relegated Aston Villa below them.
The big bosses, it is understood, and based on the figures above, were not keen on bringing back the Spaniard.
Martinez was appointed to replace David Moyes, who left for Manchester United in 2013, and he led the team to fifth place in his first season in charge.
But how quickly things have changed.
They shockingly dipped to 11th last season and are currently 12th in EPL standings with one game left.
Prior to the news on Thursday, Sky Sports Football Expert and Columnist Jamie Carragher, a former Liverpool captain and defender, said if Everton were thinking about sacking Martinez they should do it before the last game of the season.
Well, according to Sky Sports, the club listened, after Everton were beaten 3-0 by Sunderland.
“If Bill Kenwright and the new owner who has come in alongside him want to change the manager at Everton Football Club for next season they’ve got to do it tomorrow,” Carragher said.
“Basically, they shouldn’t be putting Roberto Martinez through the final game of the season at home to Norwich.
“Everton have got a fanatical support home and away and I couldn’t believe how many empty seats there were in the away end tonight.
“There were the normal banners that we’ve seen in the last few weeks and there’s very few, if any, supporters now wanting him to stay in the job.”
He added: “I think it could be a poisonous crowd and reaction to Roberto Martinez and the team at the weekend. If they want to keep the manager then keep him and he obviously has the final game and back him.
“But if they are thinking of changing the manager, don’t let him go through the weekend.”
Dutchman Frank de Boer, who resigned from his post at Ajax on Thursday, is 1/2 to take charge.