MANCHESTER, Sporting Alert – Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has dismissed suggestions that Jose Mourinho orders his full-backs to stay behind more, revealing they have the license to go forward if they choose.
Shaw, who is back to full fitness after a terrible leg fracture put him long-term on the sidelines last year, is bursting with confidence again and is enjoying life under new Red Devils manager Mourinho.
The England left-back praised his manager for trusting him to make the right decisions on the pitch, while he continues to enjoy his attacking freedom.
“At times people have said maybe he [Mourinho] doesn’t like his full-backs to go forward but that’s not the case,” Shaw said on Manchester United official website at www.manutd.com.
Luke Shaw added: “He gives both full-backs that license to go forward, obviously not at the same time but if I have the chance then it’s up to me if I want to go forward or not.
“It’s not that I’ve got to stay put or do particular things, I’ve got the freedom to play and that only gives me the confidence in what I want to do to help the team.”
Shaw was speaking ahead of Manchester United’s second game in the English Premier League on Friday night against his former club Southampton at Old Trafford.
The 21-year-old who joined Manchester United from the Saints in 2014, says he’s looking forward to “a very special moment” in the reunion with his old club.
“I was there for a great ten years and I’m really looking forward to seeing some of my team-mates that I played with,” he added.
Manchester United opened the 2016/17 English Premier League campaign with an impressive 3-1 victory at Bournemouth.
The was Shaw’s first league appearance since his season-ending injury last September.
It was also Mourinho’s first EPL game in charge at Old Trafford and the former Chelsea and Real Madrid boss was delighted with his team’s performance.
For more information visit the Man United official website