(Sporting Alert) — Robert Morris scored a shocking 59-57 upset win over defending NCAA national champion Kentucky in the opening round of the NIT Tournament on Tuesday night.
Kentucky were one of the favourites to land the title after a poor regular season saw them getting knocked out of the NCAA March Madness tournament, but their failure to get past Colonials meant the Wildcats’ disappointing campaign has come to a shocking premature end.
“I know they were disappointed not to get to the NCAA tournament,” Robert Morris coach Andy Toole.
“This is a memory they’ll get for the rest of their lives.”
In more results on Tuesday night, Virginia took a 67-56 victory over Norfolk State, while Maryland scored an 86-70 win over Niagara.
Louisiana Tech got past Florida State 71-66, St. John’s picked up a close 63-61 results over Saint Joseph’s, while there were wins also for Alabama, Brigham Young (BYU) and Stanford.
Tyler Haws was the star player for the BYU Cougars, which scored the highest amount of points in the NIT Tournament opening round Tuesday night.
Haws finished with 37 points in his team 90-79 victory over Washington who were led by C.J. Wilcox’s 20 points in the defeat.
“We were hungry and just wanted to win this game and advance,” Haws said.
BYU’s coach Dave Rose said of Haws’ performance: “Thirty-seven points are a lot, but you just kind of expect him to carry a big load.”
Matt Carlino, who scored 18 of 20 points in the second half, was also praised by both coaches.
“He put together a great half and down the stretch he was terrific,” Rose said of his point guard.
Washington coach Lorenzo Romar added: “I thought Carlino in the second half may have been the difference.”
NIT Tournament Games RESULTS
(8) Robert Morris 59, (1) Kentucky 57 – Box Score
(2) Maryland 86, (7) Niagara 70 – Box Score
(5) St. John’s 63, (4) Saint Joseph’s 61 – Box Score
(3) Brigham Young 90, (6) Washington 79 – Box Score
(4) Stanford 58, (5) Stephen F. Austin 57 – Box Score
(5) Louisiana Tech 71, (4) Florida State 66 – Box Score
(1) Virginia 67, (8) Norfolk State 56 – Box Score
(1) Alabama 62, (8) Northeastern 43 – Box Score
(3) Denver 61, (6) Ohio 57 – Box Score