MADRID (Sporting Alert) — Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked as the manager of Real Madrid, club president Florentino Perez has announced on Monday.
Despite saying “we want Carlo to be Real Madrid’s Ferguson,” the Italian became Perez’s ninth sacrifice in 12 years, according to Sport.
Perez and board held talks with Ancelotti on Monday and told him that he was no longer needed. He had one year left on his contract.
Ancelotti was linked with a departure in the last few days and despite getting supports from several of the club’s top players, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Luka Modric and Gareth Bale, who asked the club the stick by the boss, Perez decided to stick with his original plan.
“I would like to inform you that the board has taken the decision to relieve Carlo Ancelotti of his post as Real Madrid coach,” Perez said at a press conference.
“It was a very difficult decision to make; the demands at this club are the utmost because Madrid always wants to win silverware.
“The affection that the players and the fans have for Carlo is the same as the affection I myself have for him.
“What did Ancelotti do wrong? I don’t know. The demands here at Real Madrid are very high.”
The 55-year-old spend two seasons with Real Madrid and won the UEFA Champions League title last year. He also lift the Spanish Cup during his tenure.
However, his failure to win the La Liga title or any major trophy during the 2014-15 campaign and his struggles to utilized all the top players that were purchased in the last two years, were the main reasons he was sacked.
This season has not been a fruitful one for the former AC Milan, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germainboss, as Real Madrid were dumped from the Champions League in the semi-finals by Italian champions Juventus, while Barcelona ran off with the La Liga crown.
It is believed Napoli’s Rafa Benitez, who will leave the Italian Serie A side at the end of the season, is in pole position to because the new man in charge at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium.
Ancelotti has been linked with a move back to AC Milan and back to England to manage Manchester City, but the Italian says he plans to stick with his decision and take a year off from coaching.
“My future is clear in my head. …I will stop for a year,” Ancelotti said.
Vicente Del Bosque, Carlos Queiroz, Camacho, García-Remón, Luxemburgo, López Caro, Manuel Pellegrini and Jose Mourinho all went before him — although Camacho quit and Mourinho came to a mutual decision with the club to leave.