LOS ANGELES (Sporting Alert) — Injured Steve Nash has been ruled out of playing in tonight’s NBA clash against the Los Angeles Clippers, the LA Lakers have confirmed on its website.
The experienced point guard had been doubtful for tonight’s game since sustaining a lower left leg contusion in the Lakers’ defeat to the Portland Trail Blazers earlier this week, but was hoping to recover enough to play some part.
However, the Lakers said the 38-year-old will not play, meaning that Steve Blake will start in his place instead.
“Steve Nash will not play tonight against the Clippers,” the website confirmed.
The Lakers were hoping to play its strongest team on Friday after losing its opening two games – first a 99-91 defeat to the Dallas Mavericks and then a 116-106 loss to Portland, the following night.
The Mike Brown coach team also went 0-8 in preseason, despite the inclusion of Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Nash and Kobe Bryant on its roster.
But while many have criticized the team’s slow start to the season, Bryant is still confident things will come together in time and has ordered the negative talkers to “shut up.”
“Shut up,” the star player said. “Have patience. Let us do our job.”
“I just, I don’t understand. The city here, for me, not trying to bite my tongue and not calling them dumb, which I kind of just did, but they’ve seen us win multiple championships here playing in an offense that was tough to learn.
“They know how that stuff works. So for them to be so stupid now and say, `Let Steve dribble the ball around and create opportunities for everybody.
Let Dwight (Howard) post up. Or let me iso.’ “I won’t say idiotic, but it’s close.”