Skip to content

TCU’s hot shooting downs shorthanded Old Dominion in Hawaii


TCU broke the Diamond Head Classic single-game scoring record on Thursday evening, defeating Old Dominion, 111-87, in Honolulu, Hawaii.

After shooting 71 percent in the second half, TCU reached the 100-point mark for the third time this season. TCU also finished the game 30-of-38 at the free throw line. In the process, the Horned Frogs became the first team in the history of the event to reach the century mark.

Chuck O’Bannon paced the high-scoring effort with 25 points. Vasean Allette was Old Dominion’s top scorer, matching O’Bannon with 25 points.

TCU now faces Nevada on Friday, while Old Dominion is scheduled to play Temple.

Old Dominion was playing without its head coach, as Jeff Jones suffered a heart attack Wednesday and was hospitalized during the game. Jones is expected to make a full recovery. Assistant Kieran Donohue served as interim head coach.

Jameer Nelson Jr. scored five points in the first three minutes as TCU took an 8-3 advantage. Old Dominion cut into the Horned Frogs’ advantage, scoring two fast-break layups as a result of two TCU turnovers. Tyrone Williams’ layup sliced TCU’s lead to a single point, 16-15, with 12:01 left in the first half.

O’Bannon countered with consecutive 3-pointers for TCU, sparking a 10-0 run that gave the Horned Frogs breathing room.

TCU built its lead to 14, 32-18, with 8:20 remaining in the half before Old Dominion’s 10-3 run got the Monarchs within seven points. Allette scored six of the final eight points of the half for Old Dominion, and the Horned Frogs led 47-41 at the intermission.

The single-digit margin soon faded, as TCU opened the second half on a 13-2 spurt. With 17:35 left, Coles rebounded a missed free throw by Nelson, and scored on a layup while being fouled. It resulted in a three-point play for Coles, whose ensuing free throw made it 60-43, and gave the Horned Frogs momentum early in the final period.

A 14-5 scoring run from TCU with under 10 minutes to play furthered the gap, making it 94-65 on Emanuel Miller’s hookshot in the paint.

Just over two minutes later, with 4:32 left, O’Bannon converted on a 3-pointer a mere 13 seconds after checking into the game to get TCU to 100 points. TCU closed out its victory by making four of its final five shots.

–Field Level Media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.