LONDON (Sporting Alert) — Manchester United are reportedly ready to sell injury-troubled right-back Rafael with fellow Brazilian Dani Alves on the Red Devils’ radar.
Rafael had been labeled as the perfect replacement for Gary Neville at the right-back position, but his problems with injuries have seen him spending more time on the sidelines this season than on the playing pitch and new manager Louis van Gaal is desperate to fix that situation.
According to the Daily Star, Manchester United are looking to sell Rafael for £6m and will use his funding to buy a replacement.
The 24-year-old, who has 15 months remaining on his contract, has not impressed his new manager, who has picked the likes of Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and even Paddy McNair to play ahead of him.
His last run-out was against Yeovil on January 4 in the FA Cup.
It is understood that Alves, who has apparently turned down a new contract offer from Barcelona, is the man Van Gaal is targeting and the veteran, reports are claiming, would welcome a move to play in the English Premier League.
The Dutchman has also been linked with a move for Southampton’s Nathaniel Clyne and Danilo of Porto, who is also being linked to Barcelona.
Meanwhile, there is also more news about the future of Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, with Spanish newspaper Sport reporting that the Spanish club is preparing to sell the Portugal international in the summer or next year.
Ronaldo moved to the European champions in 2009 from Manchester United and his current contract runs through 2018.
However, Sport claims that Madrid president Florentino Perez is looking to cash in on the speedy attacker before his value drops, especially now that a host of clubs are still interested.
Besides his former club Manchester United, fellow English Premier League sides Manchester City and Chelsea, as well as French champions PSG are all said to be monitoring his situation.
The player’s agent Jorge Mendes admitted last month that Ronaldo has a special love for Manchester United, but believes he is happy at the Santiago Bernabéu.
“He loves the Man United supporters, he told me because he was there for six years,” Mendes was quoted as telling the BBC. “But now he is at Real Madrid, he will not leave Real Madrid.”
In other transfer news and rumours on the day, Manchester United is set to battle with Barcelona for Brazilian teen star Kenedy.
In fact, media reports are claiming that the EPL side has already made a bid of close to £6m for the Fluminense attacker, who is being viewed as the new Neymar. Spanish press is also saying that Barcelona are also watching Kenedy.
Elsewhere, Metro is reporting that Arsenal is set to splash the cash for a striker in the summer with Spanish forward Alvaro Morata of Juventus closest to their radar. He is reportedly valued at £60m and Liverpool are also understood to be watching him as well.
The Daily Express in the meantime, says Crystal Palace are planning a shocking summer move for Chelsea striker Loic Remy as manager Alan Pardew look to bolster his attack for next season, providing that they retain English Premier League status.
Remy moved to Stamford Bridge from QPR, but has had to settle for a place behind fellow summer recruit Diego Costa.