Recaps and Results from the day one of the 2014 NAIA Baseball National Championship, which featured 25 games at nine different host locations.
The Shawnee Bracket, which entered the day with three games scheduled, was only able to complete one contest due to weather. An updated schedule can be seen on the Opening Round schedule page linked below.
· Host institutions posted a 4-2 record on the day. Georgia Gwinnett, which is making its first-ever appearance in the Opening Round, and The Master’s (Calif.) were the only two teams to suffer a defeat.
· First-time qualifiers Davenport (Mich.), LSU Alexandria (La.), MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.), Oklahoma Wesleyan, Point (Ga.), Southeastern (Fla.) and Viterbo (Wis.) earned their first-ever National Championship Opening Round victory today.
· With a 7-6 win over Talladega (Ala.), Embry-Riddle (Fla.) earns its 16th all-time Opening Round victory, which ties former member Lee (Tenn.) for the most since the format was established in 2009.
· Defending World Series champion Faulkner (Ala.) opened its title defense today with a 7-0 shutout win over Point. The Eagles, who are the No. 1 seed in the Montgomery Bracket, received a strong pitching performance from Jay Gause. The junior right-hander struck out a season-high 16 en route to his first complete game win of the season.
· St. Francis (Ill.) and Spring Arbor (Mich.) are the only No. 5 seeds to finish the day with a 2-0 record. The Saints, who defeated No. 1 seed and host Georgia Gwinnett, 3-2, in the nightcap of the Lawrenceville Bracket will play No. 2 seed Southeastern (Fla.) tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. Spring Arbor faces Crossroads League rival and No. 3 seed Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) at 4 p.m. tomorrow in winner’s bracket action in Marion, Ind. The two teams most recently played in the Crossroads League championship game, with Spring Arbor claiming a 10-5 win.
· For the complete Opening Round schedule, click here.
· For complete Opening Round statistics, click here.
Overall Seed Records (through Day One)
No. 1 seeds: 6-2
No. 2 seeds: 2-6
No. 3 seeds: 6-2
No. 4 seeds: 0-9
No. 5 seeds: 11-6
Overall Conference Records (through Day One)
American Midwest Conference: 1-1
Appalachian Athletic Conference: 1-3
Association of Independent Institutions: 2-3
Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference: 2-1
Crossroads League: 3-0
Golden State Athletic Conference: 1-3
Great Plains Athletic Conference: 0-2
Gulf Coast Athletic Conference: 0-1
Heart of America Athletic Conference: 2-1
Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference: 0-1
Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference: 0-1
Mid-South Conference: 1-1
Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference: 1-0
Midwest Collegiate Conference: 1-0
Red River Athletic Conference: 1-1
Sooner Athletic Conference: 0-1
Southern States Athletic Conference: 3-1
The Sun Conference: 2-0
Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference: 1-0
NAIA West Group: 1-1
Frontier Conference/North Start Athletic Association: 1-1