Cesare Prandelli says he is resigning as Italy manager

NATAL, Brazil (SportingAlert) — Cesare Prandelli has offered his resignation as Italy manager, after his team was knocked out of the FIFA 2014 World Cup.

Italy, who started the tournament with a 2-1 win over England was beaten 1-0 by Costa Rica last week and the suffered a similar result to Uruguay on Tuesday.

The Italian Federation says it will try and convinced the 56-year-old to reconsider his decision.

Meanwhile, Prandelli gave his thoughts on the alleged biting incident of Luis Suarez of Uruguay on Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini in the defeat.

“I didn’t see the images of Suarez but I did see the bite marks in Chiellini’s shoulder,” Prandelli was quoted as saying.

“It is a shame a real shame but when these defeats are determined by wrongful choices, everything becomes complicated and it is hard to comment.”

Speaking to Gazzetta Chiellini said: “The disparity in judgement has been evident.

“Claudio Marchisio’s sending off was ridiculous but more so the fact that Luis Suarez wasn’t sent off. There’s the will to protect champions but the referee should have shown him a red card.

“There’s a clear simulation after, a clear sign that he had done something that he wasn’t supposed to.

“The gesture is clear. Referees document themselves on players and Suarez has a very clear history. The referee has given a clear address, he hasn’t spoken throughout the game.

“We are not happy with how things have gone but we were the only ones to deserve to progress to the next round.”

Ben Rummage | Staff Writer

Ben Rummage: Living the good life and enjoy doing what I like to do. Glad to be done with school -- now I can concentrate on doing what I love to do!!

View all posts by Ben Rummage | Staff Writer →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons