LONDON (Sporting Alert) — Tottenham confirmed the sacking of manager Andre Villas-Boas, who has left the club on Monday, a day after a crushing defeat to Liverpool at home.
Watch Video: Reactions to Andre Villas-Boas Sacking
Villas-Boas had been under pressure since the beginning of the season and the departure of star player Gareth Bale to Real Madrid. and a poor run in the English Premier League at White Hart Lane played a major part in the Portuguese coach losing his job.
He said he wouldn’t quit or step down but Tottenham said on it website: “The Club can announce that agreement has been reached with Head Coach, Andre Villas-Boas, for the termination of his services.
“The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties.
“We wish Andre well for the future. We shall make a further announcement in due course.”
Many, including pundit Jamie Redknapp, who is the son of former Tottenham manager Harry, had their say after hearing the news, and he said on Sky Sports that Villas-Boas was lucky to land such a post after his dismal handling at Chelsea.
“After the job he did at Chelsea he was incredibly lucky to get that job in the first place,” said Redknapp.
“He had a nightmare at Chelsea and then they went and won the Champions League without him, but he finds himself as the manager of Tottenham with a squad of Modric, Bale and players like that.
“Last year he did well with the previous manager’s team, but now he’s had his chance to do it, it hasn’t worked out for him.
“When you get beat 5-0 at home it’s a bit of a tell-tale sign. It’s not something Tottenham fans are accustomed to and I feel sorry to a certain extent for the fans.
“Having seen the team that was built – you look at Gareth Bale on the wing – and you’ve ended up with players who aren’t in the same league.”